Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pie Pleasure

I adore apple pie. I hardly bake but I don't mind contributing this dessert to a gathering. The only time I'll get messy in a kitchen is to create a dish I want to devour. In the name of sweets, sharing is caring Follow the easy recipe below to make this super-satisfying treat. (I don't know the origin of the recipe so I can't credit it. The directions for the filling are from a family friend but I don't know how she got them. The step-by-step instructions are written in my own words.)  Enjoy!  


9 inch pie

Pie Filling
- 6 small Macintosh apples
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of flour
- ½ stick of butter
- a bit of salt
- a small amount of vanilla extract 
- as much cinnamon as you want 

Pie Crust
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of Cristco
- 6 tablespoons of water

First thing: Heat oven at 400 degrees.

Filing
- Peel apples. A peeler is the easiest/safest way to accomplish this but a knife also gets the job done.
 - Cut the apples. Fastest way is with a manual apple-slicer where you place the ring in the middle around the apple core and then push down. 
- Place all the apple pieces in a bowl that's big enough to stir them around in without overflowing.
- Cut the apple pieces. The slicer will leave you with big chunks cut those in half.
- Pour (in any order) the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and drop in the butter. 

* I loveee cinnamon so I pour in a lot. Even when I'm done pouring, I add more. If you enjoy this spice, I suggest you get shaker-happy as well. *
-  Mix everything with a spoon until all the apple pieces are covered with brown goo. (Make sure you break down and spread out all the butter.)

Crust
- Pour the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. 
(If you don't have a mixer or prefer the manual method, no biggie just stir everything.)
- Set the mixer at a medium speed and add in the Crisco chunk by chunk.
- The flour will start clumping in little balls. Turn the mixer off and mix the flour with your hand so that all of it is moistened with Crisco. 
- Set the mixer at a low speed and add the water slowly, pouring it in different spots so that all the dough is wet asap.
- Turn the mixer off when most of the dough has balled up. Clump the rest of the dough together by hand.
- Break the dough ball in half.
- Dust flour all over a large piece of wax paper and place one of the dough balls on the paper.
- Dust the dough ball with flour and put another large piece of wax paper on top.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin until it’s big enough to cover the bottom and edges of the pie plate. (I use a glass one.)
 - Remove the dough from the wax paper and place it in the pie plate. 

Pour the filling in the pie plate/on top of the bottom-crust. Spread it so that it is level to the top of pie plate (meaning don't let it sit in a massive tall mound).  

 - Repeat the dough-flattening procedure. Make sure the second ball of dough becomes expansive enough to cover the pie and tuck into the edges of the bottom-crust.
- Make slits in the middle of the top-crust with a knife, like 5 of them. (The insides need to breathe while baking.)
- Pinch and roll the edges of the top-crust and bottom-crust together.
- Press down the dough around the whole pie with a fork.  
- Cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil (to prevent burning the crust).
Bake for 30-35 minutes. (Time varies depending on the power of your oven. It also depends on how crispy you want the pie. I like soft crust so I proclaim the pie to be done when the crust is golden in the middle. More brown means more crunch.) 
 

                               Pie 1 - for me 

                               Pie 2 - for the fam

* My pies always have uneven lumpy crusts. I don't see the need for precision when it comes to pie. No matter the presentation, they taste amazing! * 




(all photo cred to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment